Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Metamorphosis

Apr. 25th, 2008 at 1:35 AM

The springtime heralds your impending transformation. I have built you a cocoon for your unfolding. Come, let me sequester you here for your metamorphosis. And I will stand guard, your Morpheus, your vicious watch dog jersey moth. I will hold the key to your sanctuary like a shield as you shed each bloated section of your caterpillar youth. I will clothe you in curtains of wine and burgundy until you are ready to come to the world again. Complete yourself here in safety and solitude and embrace the winged destiny you have kept yourself from. I will fold these sleepy, tired, tattered wings of mine around your cocoon and tap out the rhythms of the world for you. Through morse coded antennae snaps I will bring you news of the outside world. I will frighten back the predators that threaten to shake your cocoon with my fierce black and white wings. I will wait calmly while you unzip from your old flesh, trading many stumpy legs for spindles you will use to alight with in the future. I will be vigilant while you change from something that used to crawl about the ground taking too long to get anywhere effectively without climbing arduously to something winged and free, that calls its new home the back of soaring winds. I will tenderly bite free your tethers when you signal your arrival, I will shield your new eyes strange to the light under the gentle shade of my wings. I will stroke your newborn wings to life, trembling as they dry, revealing colors that people all around you will startle at. I will marvel at your new-found fluent beauty as your wings uncurl and stretch, free to spread for the first time, no longer encased safely within the walls of a discarded husk. And I will coach you as you beat your virgin wings, faltering momentarily the first time you take flight. I will teach you the secret art of flying; The finite details of how to flutter, how to hover soundlessly, to coast gracefully, and above all how to glide in painfully perfected slow motion. And when it is all over and you no longer require a watchful flight instructor, I will have earned myself a proper flying companion with which to skim these clouds with. Be it fluttering in moonbeam or in sunlight, you will forever be my kindred, and for that I will cherish and protect you while you yield vulnerably to your transcendence.

Music:All I Want Is You - U2

No comments: