Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Poseidon

Mar. 26th, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Raging like the tempestuous sea, I am crashing against the shores of life. Storming your beaches, and then retreating , chase my cold foam licked back with your toes if you can. But be sure, I will come rushing back to you before you can avoid my swells and surges. Caught in the under toe, I am dragging myself out to sea. Deeper, to where the water is a deep haunting crystal blue and sharks stalk for prey in between filtered rays of light. Farther, into the dark of my salty abyss where creatures so alien to your land-locked eyes delight and amaze. Where mortals fear to tread, these depths block out the light one shade of the spectrum at a time. And the deeper you go, the colder it becomes, each thermocline shimmering below you as you descend like the heat waves above the deserts' sand. How far do you want to go? Can I carry you to the bottom of my oceans where the nitrogen will make you drunk? Try to escape, expelling your needless precious bubbles, tickling my second skin. Shoot to the surface, the rising panic of drowning tapping on the shoulder of your consciousness. And emerge you might, but you'll be sick with the bends I left in your blood. Blistered and bruised, your skin will bear the angry rash of my unrelenting pressure in a path of broken capillaries. And your joints will ache until you are contorted into shapes you weren't meant to belong in. Haunched and gasping, the only remedy for your sickness is more depth. Decompress then, in the terrifying vacuum of a dry chamber, when all your really wanted to feel in the first place was the kiss of a sea breeze and the warmth of my shallow waters. I am the oceans that surround your fragile islands, that bring life to your shorelines, using ill-evolved feet for the first time. Your sweat and tears bear the same chemical signature of my essence. One part sodium, one part hydrogen, the other oxygen. Drink me if you can, bathe yourself in my wetness. But don't try and tame my tides. They will carry you to a watery grave like a lullabye, the sound of lapping waves muffling your heartbeat in a similar rhythm. Sail on my surface, using the wind as your shelter, but be warned, a nor-easter is brewing deep in the stillness of these waters and their waves will consume you with the ancient strength of the titans. Through fear or adulation I will call you from the coast, and if you are brave enough to tempt the fate that awaits you, I will bless you with treasures. Vow to me, the birthplace of all things, your final sacrifice and I will clear away the tempests to reveal the stars in my rolling black embrace.

No comments: